What is NAD+, NMN and their role in increasing energy being and anti ageing powerhouses?
So live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now! ― Viktor E. Frankl
Corey Boutwell – Podcast: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1336942
What is NMN?
NMN the miraculous molecule that BOOSTS NAD+.
What is NAD+?
- NAD+, or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, is a coenzyme that plays a critical role in supporting many biological processes within your body
- Known as the “Fountain Of Youth” studies have shown an 80% improvement for energy production with ageing.
- Literally converts fats, carbs and proteins into energy and ATP
- Maintain cellular energy – youth levels
- NAD+ is responsible for:
- Require for ALL muscle contractions
- Use of organs
- Idea transmissions (literally your ideas)
- Ability for us to hear, listen and understand
- As we age NAD+ decreases rapidly, it just happens…….good thing NMN jacks up NAD+ to prevent your body from ageing poorly.
Essentially we all have to age, but we do not have to age old, we can age able to keep kicking ass physically, mentally and waking up with energy everyday. High NAD+ levels ensure this.
Up-regulating NAD+ has significant studies that show results in:
- Weight loss
- Improved energy
- Better sleep
- Protection against cancer
- Improved mood
- Increase physical output
- Reduced muscle ageing
NAD+ is converted from NMN hence, NMN is a precursor to NAD+. NAD+ is an anti ageing and high performance supplement, it reverses signs of ageing from inside your body.
NAD+ is crucial for the basic reactions in your cells that keep you alive, and it has many supportive health benefits.
As you age NAD+ declines, by the time you hit 50 years old your NAD levels decrease by 50%.
Niacin a.k.a. niagen or nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a form of vitamin B3 that also aids with the production and converts in the body to NAD+.
What does NAD+ do?
1. Supports healthy ageing by supercharging blood flow drastically improving fitness, cardio and muscle health
2. Makes cells resistant to stress and protects the brain
3. Helps DNA repair (damaged DNA causes ageing, inflammation, toxicity, oxidation and cancer)
4. Improves sleep, waking energy and control over eating
Energy in our bodies comes from eating food…. kind of. Our bodies still have to break down food into molecules, integrate those molecules with our cells. Furthermore, our cells have to be healthy enough to go through energy conversion processes which depend on DNA, cellular health and plenty of other factors.
Why is this important?
The Energy Process
- Our bodies digest and assimilate food so we can use it as energy
- On a cellular level food gets broken down so tiny that it can create the required cells our body needs
- For our cells to do their job and give us energy, they need to extract energy from the digested food
- NAD+ is what converts molecules and proteins into energy inside the cells
- As we age our blood vessels shrivel and start to die due decreasing NAD+, hence, healthy NAD+ levels have so many physical + anti ageing benefits
- NAD+ can help protect and increase the flow of blood in our ageing blood vessels
- We literally cannot function without NAD+ it is THAT important
- NAD+ increases the energy conversion on a cellular level in the body regardless of age, but as we age it is critical to support NAD+
NAD+ NADH Energy Conversion Cycle:
Process 1: NAD+ is constantly converting energy “picking” up energy (ions) molecules which then becomes NADH. Like turning a magnet on.
Process 2: NADH “drops” the energy off wherever it is required then turns into NAD+ again. Like turning a magnet off.
This critical process allows our enzymes and chemical reactions to work smoothly creating energy by digesting and using microscopic fuel to literally make your whole body thrive.
Reminder: when you get older the ability for this process declines.
Again: luckily there are things you can do to improve this.
The very first and most simple thing you can do is to exercise. You must be exercising regardless. This increases NAD+ and increases SIRT1 pathways. Resistance training is primary and cardio is secondary. Preferably 80% resistance and 20% cardio.
SIRT1: This is your anti ageing pathway.
SIRT1 & NAD+ are the two things that make our cells healthy.
NAD+ boosts SIRT1 which allows communication to occur between blood vessels, muscles and increases growth promoting proteins.
To TRULY increase NAD+ you can take two supplements that are best taken together and that is:
- NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide)
Before I explain how these work, think of NMN as the fuel source to NAD+ and SIRT1 pathways and resveratrol as the gas pedal. (You can find these quality products at ,eternumlabs.com.au)
Why Take NMN Not NAD+?
NAD+ does not get broken down in the stomach, it is too big and gets completely destroyed in the stomach, however, NAD+ is made from NMN and NMN DOES get broken down in the stomach.
The body can digest and use NMN which is the precursor to NAD+ allowing you to reap all of the anti ageing benefits that come with cellular, blood vessel health and SIRT pathway activation.
You can see Figure 1. below how food gets broken down and when needed to be used as energy converts into NMN and from there, into NAD+.
NR is the vitamin B niacin which helps with NMN and NAD+ production (eat your meat, avocado, mushrooms and potatoes kiddies).
Important to know NAD+ also needs tryptophan and different forms of niacin (vitamin B3) to function. You can get these in supplements and foods such as cherries, turkey beef, eggs and salmon.
Stress and ageing play a large role in the ability for NAD+ to function. Why?
Tryptophan that is used in serotonin pathways and niacin get stripped out of our NAD+ cycles when we come up against stress.
Simply put, the more external and internal stress we experience the more our body uses up all our NAD+ stores. How stressed are you?
When we age our bodies ability to use serotonin and convert tryptophan also decreases.
Due, to our recent culture it is common that many people are too stressed and their health declines with ranges of symptoms from:
- Looking older
- Gut problems
- Reactions to food
- Decline in fitness
- Recover slower
- Fatigue easily
To defend ourselves against this stress and health decline I would encourage you to give your body the best chance possible to function optimally for as long as possible.
When we zoom into the cells of our bodies we are blessed to have this knowledge.
We can be confident that supporting our bodies NAD+ processes are truly essential and necessary.
How do we do this?
- Build resistance to stress (exercise & push limits)
- Remove stress (literally remove stress or change perception)
- Provide the body with the nutrients required (Eat foods that content tryptophan and niacin or supplement with NMN and Resveratrol
Note* be careful with supplementing. Personally I would advise not to supplement with tryptophan or serotonin. The body makes enough of it on its own and usually the reason serotonin pathways do not work is they become blocked by stress. Taking more can have consequences on the mind and mood.Only supplement with neurotransmitters if advised by a healthcare professional.
Resveratrol is made from compounds found in grape skins when making red wine. It has benefits for expanding blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and aiding in weight loss.
Resveratrol also supports a boost in nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is responsible for increased blood flow around the body. Hence when paired with NMN, it can help NMN get to the cells that need it most.
NMN is the fuel source for cell health, energy and longevity and resveratrol is the pedal or the initiator.
Fasting, Ketosis and Low Carb Diet
Fasting increases the body’s natural ability to get into ketosis which is when the body uses ketones as a fuel source.
When the body is in ketosis you feel highly alert and you gain mental clarity. (,SEE FASTING ARTICLE HERE TO FIND OUT MORE)
It is known that calorie restricted diets, fasting and low carb ketosis diets and ketone supplementation increase NAD+ levels.
Fasting also increases NAD+ and leads the body to ketosis.
It has also been shown that using ketosis may serve as a rapid and enduring strategy to halt or even reverse disease progression.
NAD+ can enhance mitochondrial health, decrease oxidative stress and aid with gene (DNA) expression due to some sort of ketogenic therapy.
Results From Studies:
NMN and NR (Niacin or B3) have been extensively studied for the past few years concluding that supplementing with these substances have had therapeutic effects, for healthy aging and disease conditions. It is important to know that NMN and NR (Niacin or B3) are continually being studied.
Here are some results from studies:
- Supplementation with NMN has been shown to have a positive effect on insulin levels most likely through action on pancreatic beta cells
- The pancreatic beta cells look after hormones that regulate metabolism, growth, development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep, and mood
- They are cells that synthesize, store, and release insulin, a hormone that antagonizes glucagon, growth hormone, adrenaline and other hormones to maintain circulating glucose concentrations
- NMN supplementation has also been shown to reduce obesity and vascular damage
- NMN has also been reported to improve central nervous system health and increase brain function simultaneously protecting it from toxins and impairment
- It has also been shown that NMN can protect against cerebral ischemia-induced apoptosis. Simply, this when blood flow gets blocked to the brain and leads to cell death
- NMN increases neurogenesis after a brain injury. This is the process by which new neurons are formed in the brain through converting stem cells into neurons
- NMN upregulates Nrf2 pathways. Nrf2 increases the body’s anti-inflammatory process by using and increasing inflammatory cells in antioxidants allowing them to protect the body against oxidative stress in the cells. (This is a really good thing, ice baths and saunas can trigger it too)
- NMN has helped with improving Alzheimer’s disease symptoms
- NMN can reverse some of the negative consequences of high fat diets
Figure 2 below from a study shows the cycle of how NAD+ converts to SIRT proteins which activate (UPRmt) mitochondrial enhancement (energy production and conversion in cells). The cycle then goes to show that:
- High fat diet
- Sedentary lifestyle
All prevent NAD+ from being converted.
It also shows:
- Exercise, fasting i.e. positive stress
- The right nutrition to support NR and NMN
- PARP proteins involved in DNA repair, genomic stability, and programmed cell death
All Increase and contribute to the conversion of NAD+.
Scientists have known about NAD and its crucial role since 1906. They have learned NAD is found in every living cell, and it powers mitochondria which is responsible for energy and keeping every living cell in the body healthy.
PRO TIP: Keep your NMN in a fridge or the freezer, it is stable but it has a short shelf life. Keep cold for maximal results.
Mitochondria are in all our cells and generate chemical energy needed to power the cell’s biochemical reactions.
Chemical energy produced by the mitochondria is stored in a small molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
It is important to know this as NAD+ plays a key role in communicating between our cell nucleus and the Mitochondria that power all activity in our cells.
The Big Question: WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
As always, what you need to do is always so simple. The first thing is to be aware of all of this. Knowledge is power.
It is also important to know to ensure you get:
- Good regular sleep
- Eat amino acid protein dense foods with tryptophan
- Get the three forms of Niacin (Vitamin B3) into your diet
- A diet rich in plants, algae and grass fed organic pasteurised homogenised milk is elite
- A healthy gut microbiome is absolutely critical and essential
- You can measure this, get a viome or microbiome test done or see a naturopath
- Remove external and internal stress from routine and environment
- Remove your intake of toxic substances
- Try supplementing with NMN and Resveratrol see how you feel (You can find these quality products at ,eternumlabs.com.au)
All of this will support your gut and help your NAD+ levels to get really high and stay there.
Questions & Inquiries
Thank you so much for reading this bad boy I think there are some absolute nuggets in here. If you have any questions please send them to email@example.com
► RECIPE EBOOK: Your Bible To Health
- ,Role of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide and Related Precursors as Therapeutic Targets for Age-Related Degenerative Diseases: Rationale, Biochemistry, Pharmacokinetics, and Outcomes